When I initially considered following the Paleo lifestyle , the biggest worry that I had was that I wouldn’t be able to eat bread. I have no problem eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, salads for lunch, and fish or chicken for dinner. I can even give up sweets if I have to (though it sometimes is a tough sale). But, I cannot see myself ever giving up bread. That is one thing I had a really hard time with when moving towards Palio.
I started with the 80/20 rule, which I still follow to this day. 80% of my foods are Paleo-approved. The other 20% of my daily food intake is usually my guilty pleasure – bread.
But I knew that there must be some other options. I figured that somewhere out there, there are plenty of breads that I can enjoy on daily basis that are Palio approved. And so began the search for my new favorite bread. Two criteria that it had to meet were: fast and easy to make (preferably in a bread machine) and kid friendly (picky eater approved).
The most important bread of all for me is sandwich bread. And since my kids school is nut free, the bread could not include almond flour. Here, The Paleo Mom came to my rescue. She provided me with a Nut-Free Paleo Bread recipe that I can make in my bread machine! Score! I couldn’t be happier.
Cinnamon Rasin Bread
This is our second favourite bread. Every second or third loaf I make has to cinnamon-raisin bread. My kids love it with a spoonful of nut butter spread over lightly and sliced bananas on the top. So this recipe by Paleohacks will fast become one of my favourite recipes. I can feel it!
No weekend would be complete at our house without a loaf of perfect banana bread. I have to admit that I’m very fortunate. My wonderful, Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Breadmaker does all the kneading and baking for me on Sweet Bread setting. So when looking for a banana bread recipe, I was hoping to find one that can be made in my bread maker and turn out as delicious as the one I make on weekends. I found the recipe I was looking for on Megan Gilmore’s blog Detoxinista. Her Vegan Almond Flour Banana Bread is exactly what I wanted.
Zucchini bread seems to be the staple among Paleo baked goods. I’ve made zucchini muffins on numerous occasions, but never zucchini bread. One that grabbed my attention is Paleo Grabs Paleo Zucchini Bread. Rebecca did a great job of making this recipe very simple (not many ingredients) and very easy to make. I look forward to making it for the first time this weekend.
Chai Pumpkin Bread
Now, I’ve never made a pumpkin bread before. I’ve bought a few in the past, but since my family is not big on pumpkins in general, pumpkin bread has never been a big attraction in our home. However, the Chai Pumpkin Bread recipe from PaleOMG totally made me drool. So here I am, on a quest to make my own Paleo pumpkin bread that can become a part of our regular rotation.
Going forward with Paleo lifestyle, my hope is that I will be able to move closer to 90/10 balance and eventually 100% Paleo. I look forward to making the breads that we love and enjoy and to adding new ones (like the Chai Pumpkin Bread) to our regular diet.
How about you? What was your hardest transition towards Paleo lifestyle? What Paleo bread do you enjoy the most? I’d love to hear from you in the comments!